Charges Upgraded Against Afghan Shooting Suspect After National Guard Soldier Dies

The Afghan national suspected of shooting two National Guard troops, seriously wounding one and killing another, will be charged with first-degree murder, U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia Jeanine Pirro said Friday.

Pirro said during an interview on “Fox and Friends” that 29-year-old Rahmanullah Lakanwal will face the upgraded charge after National Guard Specialist Sarah Beckstrom of the West Virginia National Guard died after she was shot on Wednesday. Lakanwal is accused of shooting both Beckstrom and U.S. Air Force Staff Sgt. Andrew Wolfe with a handgun while they patrolled the streets of Washington, D.C. 

“There are certainly many more charges to come, but we are upgrading the initial charges of assault to murder in the first degree,” Pirro said. “It is a premeditated murder. There was an ambush with a gun toward people who didn’t know what was coming.”

Pirro added that the investigation into how the deadly shooting was still ongoing. 

Right now, DailyWire+ annual memberships are fifty percent off during our Black Friday sale. Join now at dailywire.com/blackfriday.

“And we are hoping that the more information we can get and the more investigation that is going on, 24/7… the more we will find out about what actually happened in terms of this individual, even being in this country and being in a position to ambush and shoot down an innocent young woman who was doing her duty to the people of this country.”

President Donald Trump announced Thursday that Beckstrom had died of her injuries.

“She’s no longer with us, she’s looking down on us right now,” Trump said. “Her parents are with her. This just happened. She was savagely attacked, she’s dead, not with us. Incredible person. Outstanding in every single way, in every department. Just horrible.”

Pirro said Friday that there was “hope” about Wolfe’s condition but that he was “still in critical condition.”

“We are doing everything we can to assist his family and to make sure that they have everything they need during this difficult time for them,” Pirro told “Fox and Friends.” “We are all praying for Andrew Wolfe.”

Lakanwal entered the United States in 2021 as part of President Joe Biden’s “Operation Allies Welcome,” which — as The Daily Wire previously reported — allowed roughly 77,000 Afghan nationals into the country. Trump said on Thursday that he would “permanently pause migration from all Third World Countries to allow the U.S. system to fully recover” and “terminate all of the millions of Biden illegal admissions.”

In Blistering Thanksgiving Post, Trump Promises To Stop Migration From ‘All Third World Countries’

In a late-night Thanksgiving message that came hours after news that a National Guard soldier shot by an Afghan refugee had died, President Donald Trump promised not only to immediately “pause migration from all Third World Countries,” but also to undertake major actions that he says will reverse the immigration crisis plaguing the country.

In the blistering holiday message, Trump said the United States had been “divided, disrupted, carved up, murdered, beaten, mugged, and laughed at” for its “just plain STUPID” approach to immigration. He made a series of promises aimed at both stopping the flow of new immigrants, and both cutting off benefits to and removing certain populations that are already here.

“I will permanently pause migration from all Third World Countries to allow the U.S. system to fully recover, terminate all of the millions of Biden illegal admissions, including those signed by Sleepy Joe Biden’s Autopen, and remove anyone who is not a net asset to the United States, or is incapable of loving our Country,” Trump pledged.

The president also promised to “end all Federal benefits and subsidies to noncitizens of our Country, denaturalize migrants who undermine domestic tranquility, and deport any Foreign National who is a public charge, security risk, or non-compatible with Western Civilization.”

The nation’s generosity, Trump argued, has been weaponized against it, allowing a vast foreign-born population to overwhelm the country and inflict deep social harm.

Trump said the United States now hosts a “foreign population” of 53 million, citing census data, and charged that many recent arrivals depend on taxpayer-supported welfare programs while coming from “failed nations, or from prisons, mental institutions, gangs, or drug cartels.”

READ MORE: ‘Just Horrible’: President Trump Announces Death Of National Guard Soldier

Trump asserted American families — too patriotic and well-mannered to complain — are the ones footing the bill. He claimed that a migrant earning $30,000 with a green card can receive roughly $50,000 in annual benefits, calling the situation a silent but growing burden on Americans that is “eating them alive.”

Trump pointed to the “disturbing” situation in Minnesota, where he says “hundreds of thousands of refugees from Somalia are completely taking over” the state. He took direct aim at Minnesota’s Democrat Governor Tim Walz, calling him “seriously retarded” and charging that he “does nothing” due to “fear, incompetence, or both.”

He also blasted Minnesota’s prominent Democrat congresswoman Ilhan Omar, invoking longstanding questions about whether the Somalian immigrant was married to her brother. He charged that Omar “does nothing but hatefully complain about our Country, its Constitution, and how ‘badly’ she is treated, when her place of origin is a decadent, backward, and crime ridden nation.”

Trump said the ultimate goal of his promises on immigration is a “major reduction in illegal and disruptive populations.”

“Only REVERSE MIGRATION can fully cure this situation,” Trump said. “Other than that, HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL, except those that hate, steal, murder, and destroy everything that America stands for — You won’t be here for long!”

The message was posted just after midnight on the east coast, and was posted from Trump’s official X account.

A very Happy Thanksgiving salutation to all of our Great American Citizens and Patriots who have been so nice in allowing our Country to be divided, disrupted, carved up, murdered, beaten, mugged, and laughed at, along with certain other foolish countries throughout the World,…

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 28, 2025

Trump’s Thanksgiving remarks echoed his announcement just days earlier that he would terminate Temporary Protected Status for Somali nationals in Minnesota. That declaration followed a report in City Journal of massive welfare and nonprofit fraud schemes allegedly exploiting the state’s social-services system, with billions lost through sham providers, inflated diagnoses, fake meal programs, and networks of “hawalas” that some law-enforcement sources claim helped funnel money to al Qaeda-linked al-Shabaab.

READ MORE: ‘Send Them Back’: Trump Is Done With Somali Migrants In Minnesota

Trump’s Thanksgiving post made clear that, in his view, the immigration crisis is not merely a policy dispute — it is the defining threat to American security, prosperity, and civic life, and one that patriotic taxpayers should no longer be forced to tolerate.

Right now, DailyWire+ annual memberships are fifty percent off during our Black Friday sale. Join now at dailywire.com/blackfriday.

About Us

Virtus (virtue, valor, excellence, courage, character, and worth)

Vincit (conquers, triumphs, and wins)